- The benefits of buckwheat
- Our Carrot Apple Buckwheat babyblend, muffin-ized
We are so excited to highlight buckwheat, which is an oft-overlooked option for those with gluten sensitivities. Don’t let the name fool you, it does NOT contain wheat.
Despite many people thinking buckwheat is a cereal grain, it is in fact a seed. Buckwheat is high in fiber, antioxidants and Iron. Due to its high protein content, it is lower on the glycemic scale than rice, corn, or wheat. Its mild flavor makes it an excellent gluten-free option for both cooking and baking. Buckwheat is also a fantastic addition to baby food purees; it adds wonderful texture for babies ages eight months and up. It is unlikely to provoke an allergy which makes it a superfood for babies and children.
Gluten-Free Carrot Apple Cinnamon Buckwheat Muffins
Just wait until you smell these muffins baking in your oven. These are the perfect power snacks for your little one. They are also an excellent addition at any grown-up breakfast table.
- 1 cup quick oats
- 1 cup water
- 1 Little Spoon carrot apple buckwheat vanilla cinnamon pumpkin seed flax oil Babyblend
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 2 egg whites
- 1 cup buckwheat flour
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon white sugar (optional)
- Preheat oven to 400F.
- Fill a muffin tin with 12 paper baking cups and spray lightly with non-stick spray.
- Combine the oats and water and set aside for at least 15 minutes.
- In a medium bowl mix together the flour, brown sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and 1/2 teaspoon of the cinnamon.
- Add the Little Spoon Babyblend, maple syrup and egg whites to the oat/water mixture.
- Combine the dry ingredients with wet ingredients, mixing until just combined.
- Evenly divide the batter into the 12 baking cups.
- Combine the rest of the cinnamon (1/2 teaspoon) with the white sugar. Sprinkle over the top of the muffins.
- Bake for 10 minutes, remove from pan and cool on a wire rack.
Yields 12 muffins.