- The benefits of Little Spoon’s Broccoli & Spinach blend
- A new take on getting your veggies: green eggs & ham (or just go with the eggs!)
Broccoli is a vegetable that causes quite a bit of controversy in most households. Children are usually not big fans, but that doesn’t mean you can’t change their minds! Below, I will share a breakfast recipe for “green eggs” that will delight the Dr. Suess fans in your house while giving them a full serving of broccoli at the same time. What better way to start the day off right?
The Benefits of BroccoliBroccoli is a powerhouse vegetable related to both cabbage and cauliflower. Just one serving of broccoli contains a two-day supply of Vitamin C. It is also a great source of dietary Fiber, Potassium and even Calcium. When selecting broccoli at the store, look for fresh, bright green heads which have compact clusters of tightly closed florets. Broccoli is best stored in a dry, ventilated plastic bag in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.
Feeling pressed for time? Just order our Broccoli Spinach Babyblend in your next Little Spoon delivery!
Green Eggs and Ham
I love reading the famous Dr. Seuss book to my boys while they are eating this delicious dish. They adore reading at mealtime, think it is funny to eat the same food as Sam I Am and don’t even notice the broccoli taste!
- 2 eggs
- 1 container Little Spoon broccoli spinach Babyblend (or 4 tablespoons broccoli puree)
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- Dried oregano (optional)
- Crumbled feta cheese (optional)
- Sea salt and freshly cracked black pepper to taste
- 4 slices fresh proscuitto
- Heat olive oil in a skillet over medium heat until a drop of water in the pan hisses.
- Stir the broccoli puree into the scrambled eggs until thoroughly blended and pour into the skillet.
- Resist the urge to stir! Let the eggs set on the bottom (for about a minute). Then, with a heat resistant rubber spatula gently push one edge of the egg into the center of the pan while tilting the skillet to allow the liquid mixture to flow underneath. Continue to repeat this procedure with the other edges around the pan until no liquid is left.
- Turn one half of the egg mixture over onto itself and flip after about 2-3 minutes. Cook 1 minute more, then slide the eggs onto a serving plate.
- Add the feta cheese and oregano (if desired) as well as the salt and pepper.
- Plate a few pieces of proscuitto next to the eggs and serve warm.
Yields 2 servings.